Please read the following FAQs for our summer competition.
Focused on Family, Fun and Fitness . An opportunity to train at your local club during the week and compete on weekends at the Hamersley Centre in a variety of field and track events. The Hamersley Little Athletics competition runs over 15 competition days including evening/twilight meets. The Summer season runs from Saturday 6thOctober 2018 to Saturday 16th February 2019 with a 4 week Christmas holiday break. Competition days take place predominantly on Saturdays from 0745-12noon, Charles Riley Reserve in North Beach at Hamersley Little Athletics Centre.
Hamersley Little Athletics Registration Day
Ages U7 to U17
Saturday 1st September
Time: 9am to 12 noon
Where: Charles Riley Reserve, athletics hall.
Enter at Wendling Road, North Beach.
For new members, please bring your child’s Birth Certificate/passport for proof of age.
Clubs accept online payment by credit card/paypal on the day.
Kidsport is available with current voucher – payment by cash for this option only.
Uniforms are available for purchase/ordering at registration.
Parent rosters are a condition of joining our competition.
If you have missed Registration Day please contact Kristy Axworthy email@example.com for further information
Choose your closest club or club with suitable training days
|North Beach LAC|
Training venues and Fees
|GLENDALE||Carine Open Space||Monday and Wednesday
First Training Mon 3rd Sept
|KARRINYUP||Karrinyup Reserve||Monday 5-615pm (ALL) Thursday 5-615pm(U10-U17)
First Training Mon 17th Sept
|NORTH BEACH||Charles Riley Reserve||Monday 430-6pm (U7-U9) Wed 430-6pm (U10-U17)
First Training Mon 17th Sept
|OCEANSIDE||Korella Park Mullalloo||Monday and Thursday
First Training Mon 17th Sept
|SORRENTO||Robin Reserve Sorrento||Monday 5-630pm (ALL)
First Training Mon 17th Sept
EVENT CALENDAR 2018/2019
You can compete as little or as often as you wish though you do have to meet your parent roster commitment hours.
The weekly competition commences at 7.45am
In the event of inclement weather the program may be deferred or modified at the discretion of the Arena Manager, with the safety of athletes in mind.
|SAT OCT 6||Program 1* Reduced Program (Week 1)||SOR||GLE||CRR|
|SAT OCT 13||Program 2* Reduced Program (Week 2)||OCE||SOR||CRR|
|SAT OCT 20||Program 1* (Week 3)||NB||KAR||CRR|
|SAT OCT 27||Program 2* (Week 4)||GLE||OCE||CRR|
|SAT NOV 3||Program 1 PCH Fundraising Day (Week 5)||KAR||NB||CRR|
|SAT NOV 10||Program 2 (Week 6)||SOR||GLE||CRR|
|SAT NOV 17||Program 1 (Week 7)||OCE||SOR||CRR|
|SUN NOV 18||Junior Athletics Carnival||TBC|
|FRI NOV 23||State Relay Run Off + Special Program||NB||KAR||CRR|
|SAT NOV 24||Program 2 (Week 8)||GLE||OCE||CRR|
|SAT DEC 1||State Relay Championships||WAAS|
|SAT DEC 8||Program 1 (Week 9)||KAR||NB||CRR|
|FRI DEC 14||Program 2 Twilight + Relays (Week 10**)||SOR||GLE||CRR|
|SAT DEC 15||Community Nitro Event||J Arena|
|FRI JAN 11||Program 2 Twilight + Relays (Week 10**)||OCE||SOR||CRR|
|SAT JAN 19||Program 1 (Week 11)||NB||KAR||CRR|
|WED JAN 23||Program 2 Twilight (Week 12)||GLE||OCE||CRR|
|SAT FEB 2||Program 1 (Week 13)||KAR||NB||CRR|
|SAT FEB 2 & 3||State Combined Event Championships (Multi-Event)||TBC|
|SAT FEB 9||Program 2 (Week 14)||SOR||GLE||CRR|
|SAT FEB 16||Medal Day Program (Week 15)||OCE||SOR||CRR|
|SAT FEB 23||Zone Championships||TBC|
|SUN FEB 24||Zone Championships||TBC|
|SAT MAR 2||Presentation & Wind-up (9am)||CRR|
|FRI MAR 8||State Championships||WAAS|
|SAT MAR 9||State Championships||WAAS|
|SUN MAR 10||State Championships||WAAS|
|MON APR 1||Winter Training Starts||TBC|
|TUES APR 2||Hamersley AGM||CRR|
*100m, 200m & 400m times will count for relay selection.
** This Program 2 split over 2 weeks. Which events on which day, to be decided.
WAAS – West Australian Athletics Stadium, next to Challenge Stadium, Mt Claremont
CRR – Charles Riley Reserve, Wending Road, North Beach
J Arena – Joondalup Arena
Hamersley Centre caters for Under 7 age group and above.
In 2018-19 the U17 age group registration will include athletes from a 15-month age grouping to allow all athletes affected by the age group alignment changes to complete their final year at Little Athletics.
Note 1: Athletes born from Oct – Dec 2001 will be included in the U17 age group.
Team based event for U13 athletes to be held in April 2019 in Hobart.
Australian Little Athletics Championships (ALAC)
Note 2: These athletes will be eligible for selection to the WA State Team for the Australian Little Athletics Championships (ALAC’s).
- For 2018-19 only, the State Team will increase size from 26 athletes to 32 athletes to provide additional opportunities for all athletes, taking into account the age group alignment.
- For 2018-19 only, three athletes per event will be selected, rather than 2 athletes per event.
- All athletes selected will compete using U13 event specifications. These differ as detailed below;
- Note A: U13G Discus is 750g, U14G Discus is 1kg.
- Note B: U13B Hurdles is 80m, U14B Hurdles is 90m
- Note C: Hurdle height for U13 200m Hurdles for is 68cm, and is 76cm for U14 200m Hurdles.
- For WA, athletes must nominate their availability for team selection, prior to State Championships each season.
- All nominated athletes in the Note 2 age group will be considered for selection based on performance.
Team event for U15 athletes held concurrently with ALACs. Will be held in April 2019 in Hobart.
Multi Event Championships (MEC)
Note 3: These athletes will be eligible for selection to the WA State Team for the Multi Event Championships (MEC).
- For 2018-19 only, the State Team will increase size from 3 boys and 3 girls, to 4 boys and 4 girls, to provide additional opportunities for all athletes, taking into account the age group alignment.
- All athletes selected will compete with U15 event specifications.
- For WA, athletes must nominate their availability for team selection, prior to Combined Event Championships each season.
- All nominated athletes in the Note 3 age group will be considered for selection based on performance.
National U15 Camp 2019
This is a camp hosted by Little Athletics Australia where the highest performing athletes across Australia are selected for a training camp. The training camp will be held at the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) in Canberra in Sep/Oct 2019. Selection is performance based and is co-ordinated by Little Athletics Australia.
Note 3: These athletes will be eligible for selection to the National Camp held at the AIS in 2019.
- Qualifying standards will be amended where there are differences in specifications where athletes are affected by the age group transition.
- The number of camp attendees will be increased by 25% in 2019 to provide additional opportunities for all athletes, taking into account the age group alignment
U14 & U15 International Trip to Malaysia or Singapore
Little Athletics WA offers a unique opportunity for State medal winners to qualify for the State Team travelling to Malaysia or Singapore (rotational destinations) to compete in a competition against the best junior athletes from Malaysia and Singapore. In 2019 this will be to Malaysia, with the 2020 trip going to Singapore.
Note 3 & 4: These athletes will be eligible for selection to the International Trip to Malaysia in 2019
- Qualifying standards will be top 3 three in each event at the State Track and Field Championships and Combined Events Championships plus the Country Championships age group champion.
- Any athletes selected for the team born in October to December 2003 will compete in the international team as an U15 using equipment specifications as determined by the local organising committee.
- For the 2019/20 season the athletes born Oct to Dec 2004 will be eligible to compete as U15 using event equipment specification as determined by the local organising committee. This additional opportunity is provided to compensate for missing the eligibility to compete as an U14 in 2018/19.
Awards and Recognition
Athlete of the year – this award is open to all U15’s. For the 2018/19 season this will include all athletes covered in Note 3.
Doug Hancy Award – this award is open to all athletes in the U15 – U17 age groups and for the 2018/19 season will include the athletes born in Oct, Nov, Dec 2001.
Athlete Service Awards – athletes in Note 1 will be included in the consideration for athlete service awards for the 2018/19 season.
Please also note that in subsequent years athlete service awards will still be recognised for those who skipped an age group, if an athlete can demonstrate no break in their service
The full criteria of each award can be found in the Awards and Recognition Policy on the LAWA web site.