Saturday 17 & Sunday 18 February 2018 at JOONDALUP
Please note the 2018/19 season information will be added when available.
Nominations are open on Wednesday. A link should be sent out soon… Roster choosing is also a requirement.
Please log onto your athlete ResultsHQ profile where you will see a nomination invite..
Rosters for ZONES please check…. some spots still require volunteers
Please find below information about the upcoming Zone Championships held at JoondalupLAC”s oval (HBF Arena Joondalup) on the 17th and 18th of February 2018.
The Zone Championships are the highlight of the season for a lot of athletes, this is where we compete against the Ridgewood, Hamersley and Joondalup Centres. This is the first time ever that Joondalup has hosted the Zone Championships and I am sure we all will make sure that we give them support in helping the event run smoothly.
Various people from the four Centres have been working behind the scenes to organise a successful weekend.
How does it work?
For our u6 age groups, the season will finish before the Zone Weekend weekend and they do not participate at the Zone Championships.
- For the u7 and u8 age groups, medals will be awarded to the first three place getters in each event, age group and gender.
- For the u9 – u15 age groups, athletes will qualify dependent on their placings in the relevant events (see below) to progress to the State Championships which are held on the 2nd / 3rd and 4th of March 2018.
- The u16 and u17 age groups will qualify directly for the State Championships.
(as an example, 5 athletes will qualify in the long jump from our Zone 4)
- u7 to u9 ….. 4 events over the two days – no daily event limitations apply
- u10 – u12 ….. 5 events over the two days – no daily event limitations apply
- u13 – u15 ….. 6 events over the two days – no daily event limitations apply
Nominations close on the 5th of February 2018 (11:59pm) and there is an entry cost of $5 per athlete plus a proccessing fee. Athletes that progress to the State Championships will be paying a further nomination fee (amount yet to be determined).
The Little Athletics WA website has all the information about the Zone Championships including the program and the nomination process which is through the results hq portal.
Please continue to check the Little Athletics WA website, as there may be changes prior to the weekend, I will also keep you in the loop of any changes.
The program will run from 8:15am to 5:10pm on both days, the events are reversed on the second day for the gender, for instance, the boys do their 100m and long jump on Saturday and the girls do these on Sunday.
There may be clashes between events; a clash officer will take athletes from one site to the other and bring them back to the original site if required.
With such a large program, it means we need a lot of parent helpers. There will be in excess of 500 positions that are needing to be filled over the weekend.
It is expected that families complete one roster for every athlete that competes at the Zone Championships. The parent help will involve the same tasks that you do at our Hamersley meets. however, you will roster on one site only – the rosters will be half day rosters.
The rosters should be published towards the end of next week – I will send an email when they are ready to be filled.
If you have any further queries with regards to Zones and the nomination process, please do not hesitate to contact me, Valentina firstname.lastname@example.org or the HLAC championships selection officer Nikki email@example.com;
Centre Zone allocation is as follows:
- Zone 1 Hosted by COCKBURN (Baldivis, Cockburn, Dale, Kwinana, Peel, and Rockingham)
- Zone 2 Hosted by BELMONT (Belmont, Gosnells, Melville and Southern Districts)
- Zone 3 Hosted by KINGSWAY (Bayswater, Eastern Hills, Inglewood, Kingsway and Swan Valley)
- Zone 4 Hosted by JOONDLAUP (Hamersley, Joondalup, Ridgewood and UWA)
- Zone 5 Country Centre athletes see below (no Zone 5 competition).
ZONE 1 – COCKBURN LAC – SANTICH PARK
ZONE 2 – BELMONT LAC – GERRY ARCHER ATHLETICS CENTRE
ZONE 3 – KINGSWAY LAC – KINGSWAY SPORTING COMPLEX
ZONE 4 – JOONDALUP – HBF ARENA
COST: $5 Per Athlete
Entries are now open for this event are to be completed by registered athletes through their athlete profile on ResultsHQ via the event invitation page.
Under 16 & 17’s:
Do not compete at Zones. Please check the State Championships page for information.
Country Centre Nominations:
Under 7 and 8 athletes may nominate to compete at Zones. Finals for these age groups will be conducted at Zones.
Under 9 to under 17 athletes from Country Centres – qualification for State Championships:
- Country athletes will be ranked according to their PB’s throughout the season and the top athletes will be eligible to compete at States,
- There is a second option, where country athletes in under 9-17’s may compete at the Metro Zone their Centre is attached to. In this case they need qualify through the Zone and PB’s will not be used.
Country Centres also have the alternative option of nominating to compete at a Metro Zones competition. Should a member from a country centre wish to compete at a metro zones competitioninstead of through Zone 5, the Zone they will be allocated to is:
- Zone 1 – Albany, Broome, Collie, Merredin, Narrogin
- Zone 2 – Denmark, Karratha, Margaret River, Lower South West
- Zone 3 – Bunbury, Eastern Goldfields, Newman
- Zone 4 – Esperance, Geraldton, Hedland, Northam
Number of event athletes may nominate for at Zones:
- U7 – U9 maximum of 4 events over the two days – no limit on the amount in one day
- U10 – U12 maximum of 5 events over the two days – no limit on the amount in one day
- U13 – U17 maximum of 6 events over the two days – no limit on the amount in one day
DOCUMENTS RELATING TO ZONES
Please note the Zones Program is different to the States Program.